Tips for Parents
What can you do as a parent?
- Educate yourself – know the Signs & Symptoms of prescription drug abuse
- Be more aware
- Keep medications in safe place
- Monitor your medications - use a Medicine Inventory Sheet
- Dispose of old or unused medications properly
- Spread the word - know what Community Resources you have available
- Spend time with your teen and get to know their friends and their friends’ parents
- Reinforce positive behaviors
- Be aware of Online Activity
- Most importantly – Talk to Your Children!
If you know or suspect that your child is abusing drugs, find out what you can do to intervene. Visit Getting Treatment to get started.
Monitoring Online Activity
Whether or not to monitor a child’s online activity is a personal decision for parents. However, parents need to know that prescription drugs can be bought over the Internet, both from legitimate online pharmacies and from rogue sites that operate outside of the law.
In fact, here are some sobering facts about rogue internet pharmacies:
- 95% of online pharmacies are operating illegally.*
- 94% percent of websites do not have a named verifiable pharmacist*
- More than 90% of websites supply prescription medications without a prescription*
- Approximately 50% of medications purchased online are counterfeit (Word Health Organization)
* The European Alliance to Access Safe Medicines Jan 6, 2008.
The National Association of Boards of Pharmacy® (NABP) reviewed more than 10,000 websites selling prescription medications and found that 97 percent were operating out of compliance with state and federal laws and/or NABP patient safety and pharmacy practice standards. These Not Recommended Sites are listed on the AWARxE consumer protection website.
If you want to buy a medicine online, look to see if the pharmacy is accredited by the NABP VIPPS® (Verified Internet Pharmacy Practice SitesCM) program. These Recommended sites are also listed here on the AWARxE website.
Purdue Pharma L.P. also regularly monitors the internet to identify rogue internet pharmacies and web sites offering to sell controlled substances directly to consumers. Since 2010, the company’s efforts have helped to shut down thousands of illegal or infringing sites.
Rx Safety Matters also provides a downloadable Resource Guide for Families & Communities:
Next, learn about methods for Safe Storage & Disposal.